Email Marketing Strategy for Beginners
Do you know anyone without an email address? Probably not. In fact, according to a study conducted by Radicati Group, more than 3.7 billion people worldwide use email. That’s 54% of the world’s population! Email has brought a significant change in how we communicate. Most email services are free, so anyone can have them. All it takes is a personal computer or mobile phone and internet connection for us to send our messages to the other side of the world. For this reason, email marketing is one of the most effective ways to reach your audience.
What Exactly is an Email Marketing Strategy?
Email Marketing is a type of internet marketing. This includes online marketing via websites, social media, blogs, etc. Basically, an email marketing strategy is the use of email to promote a product, service or content to their audience. Marketers also view it as a way as an effective method to develop a relationship with customers.
Just like in a normal relationship, you don’t just jump to proposing for marriage immediately. You spend time together first.
You learn about each other’s interests and the relationship will keep on building over time. You build your relationship with your customers the same way. They found you, they liked what they saw, and expressed interest. Maintaining a healthy customer relationship with your clients will help grow your business. Email marketing campaigns offer a highly effective way to promote your brand.
The Advantages of having an Email Marketing Strategy
There are tons of marketing strategies you can implement in your business. But out of all of them,
email marketing is one of the the most effective. Here are some reasons as to why:
- It’s inexpensive – Small-business owners on a limited budget: Email marketing is a better choice than traditional marketing channels like TV and radio. It even beats social media where you sometimes need to spend on ads in order to reach a larger audience.
- It’s great for reaching mobile users – According to a report by Pew Research Center, 52% of US cellphone owners access their emails from their phones. Mobile users check their email multiple times a day on their device . This increases the likelihood of your emails getting seen.
- It can be personalized and targeted. Consumers like to feel special. When they receive something that feels like it was tailored to suit them they will most likely feel a connection with the business. Most email marketing software is able to analyze user data and segment your contact lists. They also send emails addressing the specific interests of recipients.
- It’s measurable. On top of email campaigns being targeted, they are also highly measurable. Again, most email marketing software are able to deliver metrics such as delivery rate, open rate, and click-through rate. Through this, marketers can evaluate the performance and make data-driven decisions about how to optimize their campaigns.
- It’s easy to integrate into other marketing strategies. Email marketing has got to be the most versatile strategy in the digital marketing landscape. Messages can range from simple to very complex. They can be generalized or personalize. And you can use them to boost any of your marketing initiatives.
Your Email List
Your email list is one of the most important assets of your business. According to Joe Pulizzi, founder of Content Marketing Institute, you can’t build your business on rented land. Many brands and companies build their audience on platforms like Facebook and Google+ but they don’t own those names.
“If our goal is to drive sales or keep customers happy in some way, we first need to get them as part of our audience.”
If you build your relationship with your audience the right way, they will most likely convert to being customers in the long run.
85% of US retailers consider email marketing one of the most effective customer acquisition tactics according to several studies.
How to use an email marketing strategy to grow your business in 4 easy steps.
These steps are quite simple but they are guaranteed to give your brand a lot of benefits.
Make sign-up easy
Obviously, you can’t create successful email marketing strategy without an email list and to grow your list, you have to make it easy for your audience to sign-up to it. You can collect email addresses in a lot of places but the main place should be your website.
New visitors come to your website every day so make sure you add subscribe forms all over your site so people have different ways see it. Add forms on your homepage, within your blog posts and in the sidebar.
You can even add it near the navigation menu so people can easily see it and sign up for your newsletter.
Aside from your website, here are some other ways to grow your email list fast:
- Email signatures – Think about how many emails you send in a day to people who might not be subscribed to your newsletter. Include a signup link in your email signature, it’s a great way to grow your email list for free.
- Content upgrades – A content upgrade is where you offer an ‘upsell’ piece of content within an article in exchange for an email address. Here’s how content upgrade works: write a blog post and create a piece of content that goes more in-depth on the post’s topic. Then offer readers of your blog post the option to receive the upgraded content in exchange for their email. It is a simple but brilliant strategy!
- Offer incentives – Everyone loves to get something free. Getting free resources is the main reason why I subscribe to an email list. Offering opt-in incentives such as eBooks, free software tools, and online courses, is a great way to grow your subscribers.
Vary your content
As a business owner, your main goal is to gain profit and so you post promotional messages on social media and send out emails that advertise your product or service to achieve this goal. However, consumers are actually wary of brands being too promotional.
If you keep on sending emails that are too “salesy”, you will lose subscribers. That is why varying the type of content you send out in campaigns is helpful. You can invite customers to an event you are hosting at your business or just share information of the latest feature of your new product or service. Inform, don’t just sell.
Include a call to action – ALWAYS!
Call to actions (more commonly known as CTAs) are commands that are designed to make users act on a specific task related to the content they were reading. In every aspect of marketing, CTAs are important because they provide a straightforward direction to readers on the next steps. In an email, buttons are usually used for call to actions because they are eye-catching, and stand out against the body.
When designing your CTA button, be sure to make it eye-catching but should also be in line with your brand and the rest of your marketing materials. The text in your CTA button should be clear and compelling and should be placed “above the fold” so your subscribers can see it without scrolling down the whole email. Another thing to keep in mind is to minimize your calls to action in one email. The more decisions you ask users to make, the more they won’t make any decision at all!
Track and monitor
The only way to optimize your email marketing strategy and email campaigns is to track and monitor its performance. This way you can make the necessary adjustments for them to deliver valuable results. Good thing that email marketing is one of the most measurable marketing tactics out there! Here are some metrics that you need to keep an eye on:
- Open Rate – This is the percentage of your email recipients who opened your email.
- Click-Through Rate – This is the percentage of your email recipients who clicked on a link inside your email.
- Unsubscribe Rate – This is the percentage of your email recipients who clicked on the unsubscribe link inside your email.
- Conversion Rate – This is the percentage of your email recipients who completed your desired action.
- Complaint Rate – This is the percentage of your email recipients who marked your email as spam.
So, grow your email list by making signup easy, include variety in the content you are sending out, remember to always include call to actions and finally, monitor your campaigns to see what is working and what needs adjustment.
Email marketing is definitely one of the best ways to grow your business but you still need to take time in crafting your email campaigns and build your subscriber list.
Put in a little effort in your email marketing strategy and you will surely gain positive results.
Arne is the co-founder of Leadpro. He is a developer and entrepreneur with over 14 years of experience. Arne has also founder https://fullservice.co a digital marketing agency for successful startups and Fortune 500 level companies.